Coconut oil has become increasingly popular for both internal and external use recently. But, there is much more than meets the eye when it comes to coconut oil. I have created lists of all the ways this valuable substance can be used to benefit daily life in a natural and easy way.
From skin to hair and health or home cleaning, coconut oil is available in most grocery stores and should be a stable in every household too.
There are a few different types of coconut oil. For one, there is unrefined coconut oil, you can buy organic if you prefer. If you do go with “organic” this is considered the top standard of coconut oil, the purest on the market today. It is taken from a fresh coconut off the tree and holds the greatest level of antioxidants. Another option is the common, extra virgin coconut oil. Maybe this is good for olives, but for coconuts, you want to keep with the unrefined because extra virgin does not have the same level of antioxidants.
Top Health Benefits of Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil becomes instant energy, it is never stored in the body as fat.
- Increases the amount of calcium that is soaked up into the body system.
- Has a key role in re-mineralizing the teeth.
- Increases magnesium absorption.
- If eaten regularly, can improve the rate of weight loss.
- Has been known to facilitate more regular sleep.
- Allows for a more efficient thyroid function.
- Insulin levels can be regulated if taken daily.
- Can help wounds and other skin conditions heal faster.
- Coconut oil is no match for cellulite.
- Evidence has shown that coconut oil can combat anxiety and depression if used regularly.
- Hormone production can see improvement.
- As it is great for anti-inflammatory and wound healing, it can help hemorrhoids heal more quickly.
- Coconut oil can help warm the body by increasing circulation.
- If a medical professional approves, it can be used in pregnancy to boost fetal development.
- Coconut oil is a saturated fat and has been proven to combat memory illnesses like Alzheimer’s Disease.
Coconut Oil as a Cosmetic
- Use coconut oil as a lotion to moisturize the skin.
- Mix coconut oil together with other oils and use it to cleanse your skin.
- Mix it with body butter.
- Create a body soap from scratch.
- Create a deodorant, it has antibacterial elements that combat troublesome odor.
- Use it to wash away eye makeup at the end of the day.
- Use it to decrease the appearance of sun or age spots on the skin.
- If you eat it daily, you will increase your UV tolerance and better avoid sunburn.
- Rub it on the skin as a natural sunscreen that also moisturizes the skin.
- Use it for a massage lubricant without risking rubbing dangerous chemicals and scents into the body.
- Create a soothing body scrub.
- Use it as a lip moisturizer.
- Use it an ayurvedic shaving cream to keep legs smooth.
- Use it as a lubricant to tan with.
- Use it to scrub away dead skin.
- Put it on delicate baby’s bottom to eliminate diaper rash.
- Use it to whiten teeth naturally, without harsh chemicals
Coconut Oil Benefits for the Hair
- Can be used to encourage hair to grow
- Create a homemade shampoo
- It can be used as a way to decrease humidity frizz found on hair
- Use it to condition hair naturally.
Coconut Oil for Home Care
- Use it to crease laundry.
- Create a natural soap to use for dishes.
- Mix with coal and make a stronger soap to combat dirty pans.
- Use it to shine leather shoes or handbags.
- Wash your pets with it to cure their skin issues.
- Use it on your hands after you wash dishes to decrease dry skin.
Coconut Oil for Holistic Health
- Use it on your teeth to increase oral health through antibacterial properties and whiten your teeth naturally.
- Decrease allergies by rubbing it in your nose.
- Because it is antibacterial, it can decrease yeast infections.
- Used to combat the visible effects of psoriasis.
- Can decrease skin conditions such as eczema.
- Increased gum health through oil pulling daily through the teeth and mouth.
- Known to improve the levels of cholesterol in the bloodstream.
- If rubbed on the legs regularly can improve the visibility of varicose veins.
- Used to assist in the healing of a sunburn.
- Drink with warm water or tea to quicken recovery from colds.
- Due to the anti-inflammatory elements, can decrease arthritis.
- Use to decrease itching due to bug bites.
- Used to combat acne.
- Helps to eliminate cold sores.
- Use as a holistic vapor rub.
- Decrease cracked skin on feet by using it.
Coconut Oil Uses for Babies or Pregnancy
- Use it as a baby rash cream before putting a diaper on to keep baby’s skin soft.
- Use it in the ear to eliminate the painful ear infections bring.
- Use it applied to the nipples in the early stages of cluster feeding to avoid cracking nipples that are painful.
- Use it to up milk supply and increase nursing for your new baby.
- Use it on itchy skin conditions children combat, such as chicken pox.
- Rub it on stomach areas to decrease stretch marks.
- Use it on the perineum to speed the postpartum healing process.
- Decrease the appearance of cradle cap on new babies by applying a bit to their delicate heads.
- Use it to combat lice that children commonly contract in social settings.
More coconut uses are being discovered every day… What will you try next?
This should get you started and answer questions as to what coconut oil does and why it is beneficial to health! Start using it today so you can benefit too!